Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 188 - Survival of the Fittest

“As I have discovered by examining my past, I started out as a child. Coincidentally, so did my brother. My mother did not put all her eggs in one basket, so to speak: she gave me a younger brother named Russell, who taught me what was meant by survival of the fittest.”
~Bill Cosby~


Share/Bookmark

I'm bout to loose my mind up in this place. Dude, you just have no idea. Boss 1 just took on our FIRST apartment complex w/ 80 units that's in foreclosure and had NO work done, no rent collected, no supervision of any kind. Basically just tenants running a muck. AND she bought another failing company that has 500 units and 100 vacancies and they too have had ZERO maintenance for the last 3 months.

Enter your local superhero fresh back from a week at the beach. Now visualize the Colosseum in Rome spring up around her and 580 hungry lions pacing back and forth kicking up the dust and hay from the Colosseum floor. A hush over falls over the crowd because they just know there's about to be bloodshed. The only sound you hear is the heavy breathing of the lions and Nero's fiddle in the background.

NOW you have some kind of idea what it's like up in this place. Survival of the Fittest baby! My lime green cape is deflecting nastiness and my hot pink sharpie oozes charm. With one "Yes Ma'am I'll have that Fixed by the end of the day" at a time I dodge a tenants snapping jaw. With each "Oh, I assure you, We at Heth value your business and will make this transition as smooth as humanly possible" Owners claws retract. As each lion pounces I dodge and weave my magic. With a swirl of the cape and flourish of the sharpie I survive.

I am currently reading Genesis and you might ask "What on Earth does that have to do with Survival of the Fittest?" Noah. Last night I was overwhelmed with questions about "In the Beginning" but today all I can think about is keeping my head down and getting the job done. Sorta like Noah. I mean come on dude, think about the daunting task God set before Noah. Talk about a giant "To Do" list. As I'm knocking back one lion at a time I see Noah doing the same. Moving from one task to another and choosing not to let the jeering of his neighbors get under his skin. He knows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the Lord has called him to this task and he will complete it. Not because it's the only means to save his family, but because he knows it's the right thing to do. He is responsible for the continuation of every species on earth, including man. If he has to deal with Bubu the Baker's horse like laugh, it's a small price to pay.

So, I'm going to leave you on a grateful note and return to my lion sporking.

Peace ~

Today I'm grateful for:

the visual. I have this visual in my head that keeps me moving forward. It keeps me from getting stuck in all the mishmash of fresh faith. I see a long stretch of beach with a line of perfect footprints. Large and perfectly formed. Then I see just a pair of infant feet hopping from one print to another. The footprints are God, the infant is me. God is leaving me clear and well defined footprints to follow. Just this post alone solidifies my visual. All I have to do is walk the beach. Yeah, I know... but the visual is still mine.

surviving. The lions will not win.

God. I see before me a line of footprints showing me where to go, I look behinds me and I see a line of footprints showing me how I got here. He did that. He has custom made this journey just for me. I am the prodigal son and he is throwing me one heck of a party.

knowing I got this.

being called to 66. Even when I'm overwhelmed.

emails from my fav. 5.

Noah. Let's face it. He saved my life. I stopped just short of reading his story last night. Tonight, Noah and I are gonna talk.


No comments:

Post a Comment