Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 155 - Fireflies & Summer Evenings

friday-follow
Share/Bookmark   

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.”
Turtle Beach, Siesta Key 2009

What are the two things that signify summer more than anything else? At least for me, it's long evenings and fireflies. The long evening have been coming on for a month now. It's light outside till nearly 8:30PM. It's GREAT!

The evening sun turns the lace curtains on my french doors to spun gold. The hamster can chase June bugs instead of making piles well into prime time TV viewing time. I can ride my bike after dinner with no fear of dark streets and on-coming headlights. And when I look up, I'm never disappointed.

All I need now is fireflies. I can't wait to see the hamsters reaction the first time a firefly blinks by his nose. I want to see my Garden Pixie communing with them one more time before puberty causes her to stop such beautiful nonsense. I want to try yet again to get a photo of a firefly in mid blink. When the fireflies arrive they bring with them summer magic. I want to put out a "Firefly's Welcome" sign. Anyone know how to spell "Welcome" in firefly?

Today I'm grateful for:

Lisa making it through her surgery just fine. "Thank you Lord. Amen" *whispers* and for her man being there. Do NOT tell him I said that!

long summer evenings. The hamster and I are enjoying them to their fullest. Though he spends more time in the basket than running.

the hamster lean. Dude, I'm so going to have to get this on video. He's now to cool to sit at the front of the basket, head alert, ears up and tongue out. Now, he leans his back up against the back of the basket, head tilted to one side, looking out at the world with that "Don't'cha wish your doggie was cool like me? Don't'Cha?" look on his face. It's one of those things that you have to see to appreciate. I'll do my best to get you footage this weekend. A treat for my new stalkers if you will.

SYTYCD. I LOVE this show! It's reality TV at it's voyeuristic best. It's high quality couch surfing, hand holding, face time with my man. The fact that it introduces us to new music is a bonus. The man and I heard a new song last night that was AWESOME. *points to bottom of post* There it is, down there.

power. Till you spend an hour with no power, you forget just how integral a part of life it is. Power is not a luxury, it is a necessity. God Bless Clay Electric cuz in 10 years, this is only our 3rd outage of any substantial length of time. This includes hurricane season. Shhhh, don't tell them my husband works for the "other guy"

countdown to paradise. I've learned my lesson. I'm not going to broadcast the exact day and time I'm leaving for paradise. However, I'll say it's very close. I CAN'T WAIT! In a short time I will be barefoot in the perfect white sand of Crescent Beach staring into the Gulf of Mexico, photographing the multiple shades of blue water for what I pray is not the last time. "Dear Lord, please strike the executives of BP down with some smarts and help them repair the wounded Earth. Help them to stop the bleeding and the crying and the death. Help them to care and do the right thing. Oh, and forgive me for wishing that you would turn them all into fish and drop them into the Gulf of Mexico. I'm a God freak now, I'm not supposed to think like that. This I pray, in Jesus name, Amen."

being able to say "I am a non-smoker". Randomly, when the mood strikes, I will turn to whomever is near and say "I am a non-smoker". I still can't believe I did it. See my stats and be impressed. I know I am...

Beth - Free and Healing for One Year, Nine Months, Two Days, 22 Hours and 9 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 133 Days and 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 38455 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $6,910.11.

new blogging challenges and adventures. I know I'm very late to this whole blogging thing, but hey, I'm here now and I'm having a blast. *waves to my new stalkers* You are my very first stalkers not A) my mother B) an In-Law C) a Kitten D) Ms. Amy (she loves me so much she stalks me twice :P)

FRIDAY! *booty dances*

a good solid workout. After blowing off all workouts yesterday, I felt refreshed this morning. I can't say I'm back to LOVING it, but I got through it without plotting and scheming my escape the entire time. Oh, and I readjusted my schedule and now the hamster and I work out at the same time. It made it MUCH better and MUCH more time efficient.

giving Roy the BIG bone. I know, the vet said "Mrs. Reed, Roy must maintain a bland diet for at least 30 days" but but but! He produced a HUGE pile in the back yard and did not even attempt to fling poo off the treadmill! He was a GOOD BOY ROY! And I just HAD to give my little alien freak hamster the BIG bone. Watching him try to carry it and randomly tipping over is just too funny to miss! Treat for him, treat for me. Another Cosmic Twofer

new tunes. This one's lyrics are just crazy enough for me to feel them. I know, it's a tween song but I don't care. It's sweet and it's hummable and it's awesomeness in musical form. I mean come on with a lyric like this:

Cause I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightening bugs

As they tried to teach me how to dance.

how could I not think it was written just for me? Hey, I told you I was self diagnosed with the "Peter Pan" Syndrome. Now maybe you'll believe me...


If you're all grown-up don't bother
But if you've been infected with the magic of summer
You might still stand a chance....

1 comment:

  1. oh so much to comment on!!

    LOVE THAT SONG. LOVE LOVE SYTYCD. LOVE PARADISE, OF COURSE. HATE WORKING OUT.

    Huge congrats on being a non-smoker. I remember when my mother quit after YEARS of smoking and that each day, each month, each year that passed was a celebration.

    (no fireflies in the deserty place I live. sigh.)

    ReplyDelete