Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 103 - Advice

“Advice is like castor oil, easy enough to give but dreadful uneasy to take.”
~Josh Billings~

Today I'm Grateful

that I'm grateful.

for good advice. When I stopped saying "Yeah, but it's OPRAH!" and just said "What do I have to lose?" my life changed. I thank God not Oprah. She was just his delivery service.

for whispers from God.

for the wisdom to know when to give advice and when to just shut the heck up. This one is still hit or miss but I'm getting the hang of it.

that I made my Mom giggle. I know she's hurting but her laugh is music to my heart.

for dentists. They are the best payback for a kid who don't brush.

for quotes. Since I started adding a quote to my list I have discovered some amazing people. Today's for example. I'd never heard of Josh Billings before today but he has some AWESOME quotes and I'm going to go to the library to learn more about him. Check out some of the little treasures I found today:

"Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute." (oh snap do I need this one)
“Woman's influence is powerful, especially when she wants something.” (word dude)
“To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while.”
“One of rarest things that a man ever does is to do the best he can.”
“Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds a man down or polishes him up depends on the stuff he's made of”
"One of the greatest victories you can gain over someone is to beat him at politeness.”

that I got this.

that God is teaching me humility. Even when it makes me the butt of a joke. (you can all talk to the hand. I'd be glad to go back to using the finger. It does come more natural)



that I got in a 24.6 minute work-out despite nearly depositing my own pile on Wilson.

that I didn't lose it when the hamster created his own pile on Wilson.

for emails from Georgia. They just make me ridiculously happy.

that Pastor Ken remains. I pray thy will be done Lord, I pray peace and comfort for the family and congregation and wisdom for the church leaders. I pray forgiveness for my own fears and I pray again "Thy will be done Lord".

For the knowledge that it’s not all about me.

that the man and I raised such a child as this.
No matter our faults, it is clear we did something right.

Share/Bookmark


My mom asked me for advice today and I gave it to her. At the ripe old age of "nearly" 47 I've learned a) do NOT give advice unless asked b) give advice from the heart and not the head or gut c) do not be insulted if your advice is ignored d) once advice is given realize you've done all you can. Now it's in the receiver’s court.

In the end I got a musical giggle out of my mom. I don't believe I changed her mind or eased her burden but at least for one moment in time, I made her happy enough to laugh. I'm OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment