Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 40 - Lurgy Girl

Define Lurgy: noun (lurg, ie)
(british) A fictitious, yet highly infectious disease; almost always used in the phrase "the dreaded lurgy", sometimes as a reference to flu-like symptoms

“Only in America - do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front of the store”

******
Today I'm grateful for:

drugs. They may be outrageously expensive, but at least I have access to them. How many people die each day because they can't get something as simple as an antibiotic?

a sense of humor. You MUST have a sense of humor when your sick. Because only laughing at the absurdity of our heath care system keeps you from crying into your pillow.

being able to afford it. Even if just barely. $85 for Doctor visit, $133.53 for RX's. Oh, and 2 days off of work. Yippie Skippy

the liberty to take the time off I need to get better. This is the 2nd time I have taken more than one sick day in a row off since I started working at 15. My boss is not happy but she wants me healthy. It's not a great day at Heth Realty. Do NOT call unless there is fire, flood or blood. My boss is not comfortable with the purple cape and plunger scepter.

having the flue. My folks have 36 inches of snow on the ground and more on the way tomorrow. I will reiterate what I told me dad "I'd rather have the flue"

my comforts. I am indeed lurgy girl, but I am comforted. I have my blankie made for me with love to warm my chilled bones, I have a good book and good light by which to read to distract my fevered brain, I have my comfy spot and soft pillow to ease my aching body, I have drugs and fresh cool water to heal what ails me, and I have a little dog to give me kisses and to guard me while I sleep. All in all I'd say I was pretty damn lucky.

All I need.
At least till the man gets home.




Share/Bookmark

My British friends call being sick "having the lurgy" or to be more precise, my BFF Lou would call me "Lurgy Girl" and offer to stab the lurgy for me. After spending way to much time and money I discover I have a double dose of the lurgy. *coughs* Oh joy.

Like most women when they're sick, I can function and get done all the little things that I need and want to get done. Unlike most women, I do not suffer in silence. I whine and complain and rail on like I'm dying. In other words, I act like a man. I HATE being sick but I must admit, the thought of an afternoon snuggled up on the couch with my blankie, the little dog and a good book is appealing. Right, I'm off to do just that. I leave you lot to your own devices. Carry on...

No comments:

Post a Comment