Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 36 - Wordplay

“When words are scarce they are seldom spent in vain” 
~William Shakespeare~

******
I was puttering around my office trying to wring any kind of inspiration I could out of a sluggish mind when I spied my family dictionary. It's a vintage 1970 Unabridged Dictionary and the only thing from my childhood that remains outside of photographs and memories of course. I remember hating it with a passion. I would ask my father what a word meant, or how to spell it and he would say "Go look it up Beth Ann".

It changed at some point in my childhood and I honestly can't remember when. What I do remember is laying on the living room floor in San Antonio on this HUGE woven rug on my belly and thumbing through it and being absolutely fascinated. I had not yet been diagnosed as dyslexic and I struggled every day with reading comprehension, but with the dictionary I was reading words not sentences. They were chopped up, sounded out and defined in a way I could absorb. Thinking back to that day, nearly Forty years ago, I can say with a fair amount of certainty, that was the day my love affair with words began.

Many years ago I remember seeing it stuffed in a closet at my folks house, dusty and forgotten. I asked my mother if I could have it. It rests, in it's original base made of some sort of fragrant wood that still smells of my childhood. It's in my office and usually ignored, except on rare occasions when inspiration strikes. Lord knows I still can't spell worth a damn, but my vocabulary is immense. Thanks in part to this big green behemoth.

Share/Bookmark

Today I'm Grateful for:

FRIDAY! It's been a freakin long week

warmth. It's wet and grey, but it's warm. I am NOT in the midst of the worst snowstorm in the last 100 years. Better you than me dude.

JACKSON'S HOME! He is home with his Mommy and siblings. The Royal Trio is together at last. I pray they are all healthy and happy and driving their mother insane.

cupcakes. Making them with the Pixie was the best part.

sleepy puppies. Roy is at my feet curled up on a towel. I can't explain how nice it is to have a dog in the house again. Misty would like Roy. Then she would pee on the carpet and mark her territory. I still miss her.

word play. It was fun getting creative with the dictionary. It also brought back some memories. I didn't think I could remember that far back into the stone age. Nice to know the old brain still fires.

hanging on to faith. I KNOW God wants me to go through a door even though I still can't find it. I guess I'm not ready yet.

140 days till Paradise. Our little condo in Paradise awaits.

books. I used to loath them, now I can't imagine life without them. Even if I rarely have time to read. My current read is "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby. It rocks dude and I even learned a thing or two.

dictionaries. Our language is free. I'm just sayin....


******

******
the act of taking and printing photographs
the process of producing images of objects on photosensitive surfaces
"Beth knows she knows nothing of Photography"


a member of the genus Canis (probably descended from the common wolf)
that has been domesticated by man since prehistoric times; occurs in many
frump: a dull unattractive unpleasant girl or woman, boy or man
"Damn she's a dawg but her little dog is cute"

No comments:

Post a Comment