Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 290 - An Eating Tour of St. Augustine


Share/Bookmark

St. Augustine, Florida is a truly amazing city. I've been to St. Augustine a minimum of 3 times a year for the last 10 years. More recently. And you know what? Every time I go there's something new to experience.

This year we did more than our normal day trip. We met up with the cousins (St. Augustine Virgins) and played tour guide. However, the virgin pair ended up teaching the guides about their city. This trip? We ate our way through St. Augustine. It was a first for us. There were so many firsts this trip.

First time eating our way through St. Augustine. Pizza, Gelato, fudge, rootbeer floats oh my! Pretzels, sticky buns, pralines and oh so much more. I ate more in the last 24 hours than I have in the entirety of the week before.

Recommendations? Whetstone Chocolates Key Lime Fudge. Oh. My. Freakin. Dawg is that stuff good! Oh, and get thee to the Bunnery. You want amazing pastries, sticky buns and Cinnamon Buns with unlimited icing? Run, do not walk to the Bunnery. When your sugar high runs down and real food is needed check out the A1A Brewery. I recommend the seared Tuna and the Peach Martinis though those that dinned with me swear their food was better than mine. The cousin says "This is the best beer cheese soup ever!" Oh, but we all agree. The table bread sucks. Don't wast the stomach room. You'll need it for the good stuff.


Other firsts? Well, this was the first time we ever crashed a wedding. Not one but two actually. One at the Lightner Museum and one at the fort. Tara put her newly returned camera to awesome use. While the Brides hired photographer took your standard shot, Tara got nearly 500 from an entirely new angle AND managed to get her contact information to the happy Bride.

This was the first time we ever met the Coquina Nazi. This guys job was to walk the fort and make sure no one was touching the Coquina. Jim got on his watch and warning list. It were not pretty but it were very funny.

 this is Coquina


this is the Coquina Nazi

"Seriously Guys"


Still more firsts were the man's first time up the lighthouse, our first time walking St. George Street at night, our first time at the A1A Brewery, the Bunnery, the Man's first time at the Lighter Museum and Flaggler College, oh, and the first time I've ever seen a REAL steamy kiss.
It was an amazing weekend of fun and family. Thank you Jim and Tara for the loan of the camera and even more for the gift of your company in a weekend of firsts.

Peace ~

Today I'm grateful for: 

eating my way though St. Augustine. It was worth the extra tonnage.

the successful return of Wilbur. Seeing Tara's joy at his return was awesome.

God. He's put up with me pretty much ignoring him all weekend, my "begging and bargaining" and my sullen mood when no one was looking. Hey, I'm doing my best to be gracious and grateful.

not grabbing the camera back and jumping. Though they really would have been some awesome shots.

making it to the top of the lighthouse. Again. There was a time when I never would have made it.

soar feet. It means I may have worked off ONE of the extra treats.

Nikon Bites. Or Shutterbugs. Or Cannon Fodder. Did you know there was NO camera shop in St. Augustine? I may have to look into rectifying this issue. Those were the names I came up with for my shop. The man don't think I can do it. I may have to do it without his support. That would suck. At least I know where to begin. I need a 5 year plan. When I went off to indulge my love of carbs at the Pretzel Haus I discovered all these freshly painted and cute as a button rental spaces vacant and ready to rent. This discovery on the heals of my discovery that there was NO camera shop in St. Augustine got my brain to itching.

St. Augustine. One of my favorite cities in the U.S. It never gets old.

my man. Even though he "pooh pooh"'d my business idea and said "Good luck with that." AND "what do you know about running a business?" I let him live. But only because I love him and bail money is not in the budget this month.

faith a camera will come my way. My own. That I can name and love and carry with me wherever I go and feed skies and beaches and St. Augustine. Brutus got me started but I just can't go that far backwards. I simply don't like Pinto's. I've been a good girl this year. I hope Santa comes through.

pretty windows dressed up for the night.




No comments:

Post a Comment