Thursday, November 26, 2009

Turkeyday Gratitude

When the theme of your life is gratitude, on a day celebrating gratitude, what do you write? I mean, it has to be epic right? Something grand and meaningful, something personal and yet connective to the masses. It has to be. You can't go around pontificating about a life of gratitude for 364 days and then, on the most important day of a Gradidites calendar, fall flat. You just can't....

Well, yes you can. This morning I woke and the part of my brain that does the "good" writing has decided to take the holiday off. I got a good old fashioned case of writers block. Good thing I know it's not about the writing. It's not about what I can scratch out in a blog for others. My list is all about me and how I'm choosing to live my life. So, while it may not be funny, inspiring, uplifting or even mildly entertaining, this is my Thanksgiving list.

My wish for you today is thanksgiving, peace, mother in laws getting along, your crazy Uncle Eddies forgetting the way to your house, moist turkeys, creamy mashed potatoes, trained hamsters and the perfect pumpkin pie. Happy Thanksgiving.

Today I'm thankful for:

a house full of people and no stress. Thus far, no sign of the annual melt down. I just plan on taking it easy and reminding myself that at the end of the day, no mater what happens, my house will still be standing, my children will still love me and my man will still be holding my hand.

hamster puddles and piles being outside where they belong. Since I got home last night he has only had 1 accident. I am becoming a good trained human.

the kong Wooba. It has saved my toes from all sorts of hamster nibbles and chews.

getting the pre-Thanksgiving cooking done in record time. I was done by 10:00 P.M. and still managed to watch the finally of DWTS, the top 10 on SYTYCD and the last week on Campus on TBL. The reality TV Trifecta.

the perfect pecan pie. I, as the family's token Yankee, have been struggling to make, not the perfect pecan pie, but just an edible one. My man LOVES pecan pie and I SUCK at making them. Each year I swear it's going to be my last disaster. I mean come on. One year's disaster was a blackened, round brick, another’s was a sunken puddle another’s was so sticky I had to throw away the pie pan. I had high hopes for last years. After all, I was unemployed and had nothing better to do than bake and clean. Um, yeah, it sucked. The crust was blackened, the middle sunken and goopy, the pecans all bunched up around the edges like they were trying to escape a tar pit. I swore I was done with the annual FAIL poster, but I persevered and was rewarded. After 23 attempts, THIS year I got it right! *booty dances* HA! Not only am I smokin hot, but I'm a freakin pecan pie rock star. Finally I have a pie worthy of my man.

baby boys. I have two new grandsons on the way! Jackson Mason & Connor Reed One due March 7th, the other March 12th. They and their Momma's are healthy. I can't wait to meet them and steal their affections away from their Momma's. After all, Granny is da'bomb.

the Christmas season. For most of my life I've been Scrooge. I've hated all the happy, fluffiness of the season. 2 years ago I had my own Marley intervention and I've been LOVING the season ever since. Today is Thanksgiving and the Christmas Season has begun. Today we kick it off with the "Carpenters Christmas" CD, tomorrow the tree goes up, and the man has promised to take me to see the latest version of "A Christmas Carol" and Monday I get to wear my Christmas Rocker Tee to work. Whooohooo! Let the games begin!

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Waaaay back in the dark ages when I was a Sophomore in high school, I was channel surfing one night on the TV in my room. (Yes, I was one of "those" kids) and I stumbled upon an old black and white movie that started a life long obsession. The Orriginal "A Christmas Carol" w/ Alastair Sim. Even in my "I hate Christmas" years, I LOVED all versions of this movie. It's become a goal to watch every single version of this movie ever created and let me tell you, there are some BAD versions out there. There's one with Susan Lucci where they called her "Ebbi" and she owned a big department store that was almost painful to watch but "I" enjoyed it. I've read the book too.

"Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.

Mind! I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail."

I LOVE that bit about the door-nail and have been known to incorporate it into my own writing. The reason's I love this movie have shifted over the years. When I was young I loved it because it gave me hope that adults can just break free and embrace the holiday, in my dark years I identified with Scrooge. I became Scrooge. Now, I know that true and complete change is possible and redemption is the greatest of gifts. My favorite version is the 19790 Musical version w/ Albert Finney but I'm always on the lookout for the next best. I can't wait to go see the newest version! The man has promised to take me. He knows how to make his woman happy.

not having to open the box of Christmas decorations and see Misty's stocking without having a puppy in the house. Honestly I was dreading it. Every year since Misty came to live with us we would fill that stocking to overflowing. Treats enough to last till June, toys she could no longer play with, bones she could no longer chew but it didn't matter. WE got excited. Now, I can open the box and take out Misty's stocking. I can tell Roy all about our girl and how the stocking is now his. We can fill it to the brim with toys he will pay with and bones he can eat. From here on, each year we pull the stocking out of the box we can remember Our Misty with joy and gratitude. The pain of her absence softened by puppy love.

FOOD!!! Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, ham, sweet potatoes, peas, beans, pies, breads, squash, salad, rolls, and cranberry sauce. Epic Nom nom nom! *drools* is it 3 O'Clock yet?

realistic expectations. I have no delusions. I know there is no way I am doing to diet today. I have not weighed myself today, nor will I weigh myself until Monday. I anticipate a 2-4 lb gain. I'm OK with that. I will begin my diet anew Monday and return to working out twice a day. With luck, I will get through this Christmas Season weighing in at 186. Dead even. After all, I have a bike race to prep for.

My Rockin Pecan Pie 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment